Family dynamics

n Cereus Blooms at Night, there is a big emphasis on familial structure and importance of the different roles that each member plays. On page 133, we see Mala pegging for God to go back and time and let her leave with her Momma and Aunt Lavinia. Everyone in her life that she cared about; mom, aunt, sister, left her and left her with her abusive father more importantly. But she does not have anger towards them. It leads me to think if she is just selfless in this situation because she knows the abuse that her father is and was capable of so at least the ones she loves are away from his abuse or if it is an envious plea rather than an upset one. But, then, if wishing for things why not just wish her father to stop, change, be different, or go away himself?

I think it is interesting the different factors that play a role in love and forgiveness. In my own life I have faced similar abuse with my cousin and brother. Both when I was very young, and both of sexual nature. But, as these memories became unrepressed, I was and am unable to forgive my cousin whom I was not very close with, ever, and very easy to forgive my brother who was my best friend. The difference? I see the difference being the quality and amount of love I have for one over the other. I think that is why Pohpoh could forgive her mother and sister; she loved them so much. Unrelated, I have to wonder if her mom and aunt ever found out about her father’s actions as the town seemed to notice abuse, not necessarily of sexual nature, by the girl’s appearance and actions.