Bisexuality

Author Note: I do not claim to be in the LGBTQ community, so everything said here is statements that I have been made aware of through social media and other sources. If I have been wrongly advised, everyone is more than welcomed to correct me (please be nice, I’m learning).

The ending of Cereus Blooms at Night was really interesting to read. I have to say, I think it left a lot think about. I like how at the end, Tyler didn’t care if he was seen by the other nurses in the nurses uniform. I think that realization plays a part into understanding intersectionalities and binaries which we have discussed in class. In the book, there is a lot of breaking of binaries, such as Tyler determining who i he by the outfit and Otoh determining who he was by taking his father’s “place” (becoming the man his mom knew). These breaking of binaries or redefining them, is what is talked about in a lot of our theoretical texts. Having these binaries can be good, creating safe spaces in which to chat with others going through a similar experience, however they also exclude people. For example, the current issue in the LGBTQ community is the erasure of bisexual people. In the binary of LGBTQ, it is supposed to include the B, which stands for bisexual. However, there have allegations that this binary has excluded bisexuals almost for the same reasons as heard from the binary of heterosexuality. Being bisexual means that a person likes both males and females, some things that have been said about this are like asking the person to choose male or female, or if the person starts dating someone of the same gender that automatically makes them gay or lesbian and creates the erasing of bisexuality.