Fun Home?

Fun Home draws on both literary and visual elements to express a story. Without one or the other, the story would not be the same. The text and the visual draw on each other to enhance the story. In several instances, particular scenes contain sexual innuendos regarding to the homosexuality of Alison Bechdel’s dad. In one scene, for example, Bechdel’s dad is described as being passionate, and amongst the passion are several phallic symbols. Had the image not been present, the inference would not be as strong or subliminal. Further, if the text was not there, an inference could be made, but it would not be as blatant as if the text was there.

3 thoughts on “Fun Home?”

1. I think Fun Home is the most challenging book we have studied so far in class, in the sense that one needs to pay attention to both literary and visual elements to understand the story. I think the text brings some structure to the autobiography, whereas the pictures give more freedom to the author as well as the reader. There are no words, no boundaries, so images can be interpreted more openly.

2. Do you think that the story itself could be successful without the images IF it was written slightly differently? If more detail was added to the stories themselves, would that suffice, or is the retelling of this particular narrative reliant on the images? Part of me thinks that without the images, we’d lose the flow of the story. The organization of events isn’t exactly perfectly in order (beginning to end), so in order to make sense, the order of recounting the story might have to change as well. I agree with you; the pictures make all of the difference in this book.

3. I remember when I was in first grade and all the books I read had both words and pictures. It was a fascinating experience until I got to 5th grade and books no longer came with pictures. I believe comic books are essential into understanding important parts of its story. Bechdel introduces an incredible story that emphasizes a common issue that occurs in todays society. Suicide is increasing amongst LGBT communities, especially the young queer individuals. This story is special because Bechdel’s Dad is an adult with children. He has a history, a family, and most importantly he had an identity. Nevertheless, through the pictures and text used by Bechdel, we see and read this human being whose identity has been false for more that half his lifetime. We built an understanding of his difficulties through Bechdels perspective. Both text and visuals help us better understand Bechdels Dad and herself as well.