POSITION: Director of Educational Programs
AVAILABILITY: May 2014
PASA MISSION STATEMENT: Promoting profitable farms that produce healthy food for all
people while respecting the natural environment.
INTRODUCTION: Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture (PASA) works to
improve the economic viability, environmental soundness and social responsibility of food and
farming systems across Pennsylvania and throughout the Mid-Atlantic Region. As one of the largest
statewide sustainable farming organization in the United States, PASA conducts programs that
include farm-centered education, regional marketing and business support, consumer outreach,
farmer advocacy and community building strategies. The successful candidate will be an important
team player in advancing this overall mission, but will focus primarily on leading our efforts to
redefine and deploy educational programs for farmers that are both relevant to sustainability and
effective in transforming food and farming systems in the 21st
SUPERVISION: This position will be supervised by the Executive Director of PASA.
QUALIFICATIONS: Master’s degree in area of science related to agriculture and/or sustainability,
or comparable training and job experience, required. Candidates with doctoral degrees encouraged
to apply. Proven experience in adult-focused educational programming, grant writing and
conducting research is required. Demonstrated supervisory, management, strategic planning and/or
additional fundraising experience are significant pluses. Communication, computer and email
proficiency required. PASA is looking for a generalist in terms of training and research background,
who also displays cultural sensitivity and is comfortable speaking to farmers, consumers and other
researchers in a constructive manner that advances our organizational mission and goals.
OBJECTIVES AND DUTIES: This position is responsible for working with our board of director’s
Education Committee in determining the organization’s educational and research agenda, based on
the demonstrated needs of our farmer members in particular, and implementing programs consistent
with that agenda. Success will be measured and evaluated on a regular basis. Specific duties
include, but are not limited to the following:
• Collaborate as a member of the staff’s Senior Management Team in making management
decisions of relevance to the entire PASA organization.
• Participate closely with and provide leadership for staff and board members in conducting
ongoing assessment of member needs and corresponding plans for future programming.
• Develop creative and user-friendly programs for information sharing among our members
through on-farm field days, workshops, webinars and other online resources.
• Work with academic and industry partners to develop on-farm research opportunities that
prove meaningful to our members, addressing identified information needs on their farms. • Develop and maintain partnerships with businesses, agencies and other organizations to
advance a sustainable food system through research and educational programs.
• Hire and supervise appropriate staff members who are competent, professional and
supported in pursuing the mission of PASA and serving the needs of members.
• Continuously educate and engage the public on PASA’s educational and research objectives.
• Represent PASA programs through speaking engagements and informational exhibits.
• Travel throughout the state and region for relevant meetings, programs and such other
activities that shall be determined from time to time.
• Contribute to the growth and financial health of the organization through effective budget
development and innovative programs that are efficient from a cost/benefit perspective.
• Work closely with our Capital Campaign Committee to secure financial infrastructure for
future educational programming as prioritized by the board of directors.
• General fundraising and grant writing aimed at maintaining educational operations and staff.
• Develop and continually improve systems for data collection and analysis for application to
program success and outreach to partner organizations and other stakeholders.
RESIDENCY: Candidates living in central Pennsylvania are preferred with daily attendance at
PASA’s office in Millheim, PA expected.
COMPENSATION: This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position. Salary and generous benefits
package available, according to qualifications and established policy.
APPLICATIONS: Please send cover letter indicating understanding/acceptance of
mission/objectives of the position and resume to PASA, Educational Program Director Search, PO
Box 419, Millheim, PA 16854, or to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted
continuously until the position is filled, but interviews will begin from among the first pool of
candidates identified by Monday, May 5, 2014.