Alumni Spotlight: Silvana Kreines ’16

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 4.33.57 PM

Archaeology major, Silvana Kreines, shares her relationship to the farm and what she has done with her life after Dickinson. 

My time as a student farmer on the Dickinson College Farm was one of the highlights of my college career. It taught me the value of hard work and how feasible organic, sustainable farming is. My favorite chore was working with the animals and planting and harvesting vegetables. After graduation, I decided to “submerge” myself in my love of planting and giving back to the environment by participating in a coral-planting program through Diving With a Purpose and the Coral Restoration Foundation in Key Largo, Florida. We planted 140 staghorn corals on a reef that has experienced a 98% decline since the 1970s. This coral will help to rebuild the structure of the reef and provide a new home to more corals and fishes. Following this program, I helped map a steam ship from the 1800s and will be mapping and excavating a site where a British Loyalist ship sunk in 1782 by recording and recovering artifacts from the wreck.”

Silvana is pictured above, transplanting coral in the ocean off of Key Largo, Florida.