For the third year, the Dickinson Farm CSA is partnering with Oyler’s Organic Farms to offer Dickinson CSA members an optional USDA Organic Certified Apple CSA!
Only available to current Dickinson Farm CSA members.
Oyler’s Organic Farms is a Certified Organic farm with 360 acres of land in Adams County, PA. Their farm is located just 27 miles from Carlisle! The farm is run by Bill and Mary Ann Oyler and their family. Bill is the fifth generation to farm the land. As stewards of the land, the Oyler family strives for healthy soil and subsequently healthy plants and healthy food for our CSA members. They have a wide variety of apples and have recently added grass-fed and grass-finished beef cattle and peaches. They are members of PASA (Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture) as well as PCO (Pennsylvania Certified Organic). They are also members of the South Central Buy Fresh Buy Local Chapter. In February 2010, the Oyler received a Sustainability Award given by Pennsylvania Certified Organic!
A single share with Oyler’s Apple CSA will be 5 bi-weekly deliveries of ½ peck of apples stretching through the months of September, October and November. This is roughly 5.25 pounds (about 12 apples) per delivery. The shares will be ready for you when you pick up at your normal Dickinson CSA location, either on Tuesdays at the College Farm or on Fridays on campus. The cost of the apples, plus packaging and delivery comes to about $2.10 per pound. That’s pretty good for local, fresh, organic apples! The total cost of a share is only $65.00.
There’s plenty of variety! You will receive Golden Supreme, Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Ida Red, York, Braeburn, and Fuji apples as they ripen throughout the fall.
This year, we are thrilled to be adding 2 pints of organic apple sauce to each share, as well as the opportunity to purchase Oyler’s tasty apple cider and have it delivered alongside your apple share.
To learn more about the Oyler family and their farm, visit the Oyler’s Organic Farms website.
Updates from Oyler’s Organic Farms, March 25th, 2012
- We now have a Facebook page!
- We now have 100 chicks on our farm. We should have extra fresh pastured brown eggs for sale this summer beginning sometime in July. We are feeding our chicks certified organic (non-gmo) feed.
- The fruit trees are out of dormancy. The peach trees are just about done blooming and the apple trees will be in bloom before too long.
- We are hoping to have our new farm market open for August 2012. We’ll keep you updated as we have more news.
- The cows may start having calves anytime around the last week of April. We are expecting 19 calves this year.
- Please continue to check our blog for farm updates as well as our Facebook page.