Proctor

This past week was the event I’ve been working towards ever since I came to CDF. I finally got to meet people who I’d been emailing and everyone was incredibly gracious and kind. It was really gratifying to be able to finally see what I’d been working towards and how valuable and powerful Proctor is to some people.

The chapel at Haley Farm designed by the architect who designed the Vietnam War Monument

Each day there were several different speakers who were absolutely amazing. Many of them were young and they all talked about the need to take action now. They talked of the need to stop intellectualizing problems and actually start working to solve them. One speaker said something that particularly struck me really and will stick with me going forward; he said, “it’s time to put the pen down and put your shoes on. It’s time to go to work.”

During the sessions with speakers, the fellow comms interns and I had to keep our ears open for memorable quotes and live tweet them. It was a pretty exhilarating experience to have to stay completely alert and focused on what the speaker was saying and to send the quotes out at such rapid fire.

Overall, however, it was a very stressful week, very hot (it’s hosted in Clinton, TN), and disorderly. It was a valuable experience though because I learned a bit more about what does and doesn’t help to make a large event such as this one succeed.