The End of the Beginning

Hey guys! Sorry for the delay- the last few weeks have been CRAZY! Things picked up during the last week at CIS, then my mom joined me in DC, then came the craziness of getting home! It’s still so strange to realize that summer is almost over and that I spent 11 weeks in DC interning. It’s actually nuts.

I figured, since I’ve blogged all summer about what I’ve been learning, etc, I’d spare y’all. I think I’ll stick to where I’m going and where I loved to go in this wrap-up post.

First, FRANCE! As of now, I have 15 days until I leave to go abroad. That’s also nuts. I’ll be there for the year (and blogging about it!) studying at the political science university in Toulouse and staying with a host family. I go between being scared out of my mind and being super excited…I’m sure it’ll get better as it gets closer.

This summer solidified the fact that, once I get back from my year abroad, I definitely want to be back in DC. It was a really different experience to be in a big city, but I loved the atmosphere. DC has all the perks of a big city, but it isn’t as fast-paced or stressed as NYC. There’s so many cool (and free) things to do, so you  never get bored. Plus, being in a city with all that history is awesome for a nerd like me, ha! I know now that a think tank could definitely be in my future, but I’ll be sure that my values line up with the organization and that it’s an issue I’m incredibly passionate about. Watching how dedicated all the CIS staff members were really cemented that for me.

For fun, I thought I’d compile a little list of my favorite places and spaces in DC! Definitely try to check them out if you can!

restaurants

• Ted’s Bulletin: Right off U Street, this quirky restaurant runs awesome nightly specials and serves homemade poptarts for breakfast and brunch. ‘Nuff said.
  • Filomena: A Georgetown staple, Filomena is a little more expensive but totally worth it! This Italian restaurant has served the likes of Bono and Bill Clinton, and the plates are HUGE. I ordered the gnocchi, ate it there, then took it home and ate it three more times.
  • Thunder Burger: Also in Georgetown. The vibe is punk-rock which turns it into Gtown’s version of a dive bar, but it’s so incredibly yummy! You can get almost any kind of burger here, but I’d go just for the atmosphere 🙂
  • Founding Farmer’s: This place is divine. I had the chicken pot pie and my friend had the chicken and waffles..we both waddled out stuffed.  The waitstaff is really knowledgeable about the farm-to-table concept, and you can honestly taste the difference in the food. Make reservations though- when we showed up for the only time we could get, the wait was 1.5 hours, on a Tuesday!

excursions/activities

• The National Museum of Women in Art: Two blocks from the White House, this museum is really well done. It starts with portraits from the Renaissance and moves forward chronologically. There are student discounts with your ID, and it’s really inexpensive anyway. The building used to be a Masonic lodge- aka no women allowed! You have to love that irony.
  • U Street: This place reminded me a lot of Bourbon Street in New Orleans. Not because of a ton of bars or anything, just because all the restaurants, bars, and shops are totally random but all work together. Mellow Mushroom is great for pizza, and go to Tryst afterward for dessert.
  • The Museum of Crime and Punishment: This museum is right by the Spy Museum and the Gallery Place Metro Stop, but it’s crammed between a bunch of restaurants so you might miss it. Don’t though- it’s really well done! Starting with medieval torture, it moves through colonial times, the Wild West, organized crime families, and cyber crime. There’s nothing gruesome, and everything is really informative. It’s a for-profit museum, so there’s a fee to enter. But you get a discount for students and that helps. Definitely fun!

So there you go. The end of my summer, the beginning of my year, and my favorite things! I’ve loved blogging this summer, and the feedback I’ve gotten is phenomenal. I’m so glad I got this opportunity!