Top 10 Graphic Novels

Ok, as a rule I am pretty wary of “Top 10” or “Top 100” or “Best Of” lists…I mean, really, these compilations are just some editor or critic’s opinion on what they think constitutes “good”. ¬†However, I do believe that these types of lists hold a certain merit as they expose the reader to works/pieces of art that they might not have been aware of.

Linked below is the Time Magazine “Top 10 Best Graphic Novels” list…it is presented in a slideshow format with reviews by Lev Grossman, Time’s senior book critic (who wrote an awesome book – kind of a cross between Harry Potter and Brett Easton Ellis’ Less Than Zero.) ¬†It’s certainly interesting to see what graphic novels are considered more worthy of accolades than other, just as it’s interesting to see what graphic narratives are considered more “literary” than others. I think it would be kind of cool if everyone in the class looked at the list and posted a comment with how many out of the ten they have actually read…just two for me!

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1883296_1883291,00.html

Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 Colin Tripp

TAGS: , , , ,

1 Comment to Top 10 Graphic Novels

aboukham
September 16, 2010

I actually have only read the Tintin graphic novel, The Black Island, but since class started I’ve heard of a lot of these. There’s a description of each one that sort of shows why it was chosen, but I wonder if there were any general guidelines? I know there’s a lot of good ones out there and I wonder how he eliminated other choices.