Separation of Church and State

Thursday, September 30th, 2010 Leah Miller

TAGS: , , ,

3 Comments to Separation of Church and State

trippc
September 30, 2010

Leah: I really, really like this comic. Not only is it masterfully assembled (I like the collage aspect and how you can tell it was ripped apart then taped back together) but the beautiful question at the bottom strikes a nerve. I also enjoy how you pushed the boundaries of the medium with this piece; it could almost be considered a piece of “traditional art” as opposed to a comic. Intriguing indeed…

Leah
September 30, 2010

thanks, Colin, I’m flattered. of course, I would argue that any image with “juxtaposed pictorial and other images in a deliberate sequence, intended to convey information and/or to produce an aesthetic response in the viewer” is a comic. (Huzzah Scott McCloud). I definitely juxtaposed my images in an order intended to elicit an emotional response from the viewer and to convey information about a political problem in Iran (and here as well?)

but I’m just picking. in fact, I tried to make it look like traditional art. and I very much understand why that statement strikes a nerve. this problem of intermingling church and state definitely hits close to home. thanks for the feedback!

trippc
September 30, 2010

I actually misspoke Leah. I didn’t mean that the separation of church and state was something that bothered me, I was going for the fact that the statement resonated with me, the poetic and emotional side of it. I realize my wording was a little confusing/wrong. Yes, you’re comic fits the definition as McCloud puts it, I was just saying that it isn’t what you think of when you normally think of a college. Which is what a large part of our seminar is really about…