Thriving (not Dying) with Internships

Hey everyone!

Let’s talk about stress. (Ain’t that way to start off a post) Prior to this internship, I have only had jobs either at school or otherwise unpaid. The thought of an internship seemed daunting and so far removed from me that when I got the message that I got the job, I was sooooooo unprepared. What is an internship? Is it a job job? Am I going to have too much free time? None?? A plethora of questions rattled my brain, I want to go through them so that y’all don’t have to. So, this and the next post will be on how to get an internship and how to thrive during one. Let’s start us off with how did I even get here in the first place, and that credit has to go to my friends at college. A huge part of how I got my job is from sitting in a triangle with two of my classmates in the library and sending each other job after job after job. A quick analogy I would compare it to is laundry (omg I’m getting old). What I have found out when it comes to cleaning your room and folding laundry is that it is way easier and goes by faster when it’s not your own stuff. Helping someone else gives you an outside perspective so that you can look at the big picture rather than being stuck on the details. Same with finding an internship; sometimes it takes the help of your classmates and friends who know you and your interests to give suggestions rather than doing it Han Solo style. Setting up parameters and interests for yourself is also a good way of narrowing your search for internships. I know I was scrambling trying to figure out what I wanted to do and if this would determine my career path AND IT WON’T. Get that out of your head and really envelope yourself in the process of researching and getting experience of how it will work in the future for job hunting. This is the most low-risk job search you’ll be a part of, so take it all in.

Thanks for reading my ramble, and part 2 of how I am actually surviving this internship will be coming up soon. See y’all later!