Due by Friday, March 1 by 5pm
By Friday, March 1, students will create an essay post that analyzes one of James Buchanan’s most significant achievements (or failures) as an American diplomat. Students may analyze any relevant period from Buchanan’s long career, such as his tenure as Minster to Russia (1832-34), US senator (1834-45), Secretary of State (1845-49), Minister to Great Britain (1853-56) or as President (1857-61), but they should focus on just one particular diplomatic episode or incident even as they also summarize his career and contextualize the topic.
- All posts should include a thoughtful combination of primary and secondary sources.
- Late posts will be penalized up to 5 points per day.
- Buchanan profile (Dickinson & Slavery)
- Buchanan entry (Dickinson Archives)
- Buchanan resources (Miller Center / UVA)