Images for Project

Yesterday March 7 I went back to the Dickinson archives to scan some images that I feel can be very helpful in depicting what I have research so far. The first image is of the John Keggy Stayman letter. This is the letter that I found during my first trip to the archives. This letter was written by Professor John Keggy Stayman to his friend Edgar who lived in Carlisle and was present for the shelling. Stayman was traveling but upon hearing about what had happened he began traveling back to Carlisle to survey the wreckage. 

Stayman Letter pages 1 and 4. Courtesy of Dickinson Archives

The second image that I found was from The Philadelphia Inquirer July 4, 1863 edition. This edition was especially helpful because it provided a map about the invasion of Carlisle. During our class today, March 8, 2011, we talked about maps and how we could potentially display an image of the invasion to people. I think this map could be a great source to refer to or at least use it as a starting block. 

Map of Carlisle 1863. Bombardment by Confederate Forces. Courtesy of Dickinson Archives.

Both if these images can accessed by going to the Dickinson archives. The Stayman letter was discovered when I was going through the catalogue and discovered that he wrote this just days after the battle had concluded. The article was discovered when I was looking through a binder of Newspaper collections. This newspaper in particular was extremely helpful because it gives a great description of what occurred at Carlisle from an eye witness account. I have not been able to find out what citizen this is. I would believe that he/she would have had to escape Carlisle right after the bombardment occurred because of how fast they made it to Philadelphia. Both these items have certainly given me a better idea of took place and what people went through during July 1st and 2nd.