Summarization of my Work

My work in the archives was certainly challenging but made easy because the event that I covered, which was the Gettysburg Campaign and Carlisle’s involvement, was a very well and widely written about topic. The biggest lesson I learned was comparing reports in newspapers and examining stories side by side. Newspapers were certainly the biggest and most important source for me during my research and the stories in the different paper I looked at were not always the same. I looked at The Philadelphia Inquirer, New York Times, and The Philadelphia Press. These were three of the bigger papers during that day and all had the same story just told a little bit differently . The second source of information that was helpful was letters and memoirs of people who were either from the area or present during the attack. These provided detailed and first hand accounts of what occurred from an eyewitness’s point of view. Finally the third source of information that was extremely helpful to me were secondary sources such as books. I happen to own a book called Saber and Scapegoat. This book written primarily about the Gettysburg campaign and General J.E.B. Staurt’s role. It talks exclusively in one of the chapters on General Staurt’s attack on Carlisle. These three different sources proved be very valuable and helpful to me in my research. I believe that I found solid and useful information that helped tell the story about the Gettysburg Campaign and Carlisle’s involvement.