- Younger sister of Jawaharlal Nehru
- “unofficial delegate” at 1945 San Francisco UN Charter Conference
- “brilliant, silver-tongued orator” (A. M. Wendell Malliet, “Little Nations Deal Blow to Ambition of Gen. Smuts,” New York Amsterdam News, December 14, 1946, pg. 1
- Ambassador to the United States, 1949 (previously, Ambassador to USSR)
- President of the UN General Assembly, 1953
Online reference source:
Andrews, Robert Hardy. A Lamp for India: The Story of Madame Pandit (1967).
Grover, Verinder and Ranjana Arora, ed. Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit. Vol. 4, Great Women of Modern India. New Delhi: Deep & Deep Publications, 1993.
Guthrie, Anne. Madame Ambassador; The Life of Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit. New York: Harcourt, Brace & World, 1962.
Jensen, Irene Khin Khin. “The Men Behind the Women: A Case Study of the Political Career of Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit,” in Contributions to Asian Studies, Vol. 10, 1997, 76-93.
Papers: Nehru Memorial Library, New Delhi; British Film Institute, National Archive
The Scope of Happiness: A Personal Memoir. New York: Crown Publishers, Inc., 1979.
Nehru, Jawaharlal, Before Freedom (2000) [letters to Vijayalakshmi]
American History in Video: