A bit about my job at AhaMove

“Operations Intern”. That’s my title at AhaMove, with “Operations” being the department I’m interning in. Different from a normal business whose target is only consumer, a digital-based last-mile delivery company like AhaMove works with both sides of the market – consumer and supplier (or courier). At AhaMove, Operations is responsible for the company’s courier side. Our team, called Ops-Growth, is one of two sub-teams of Operations and dealing with new courier. Recruiting, training, solving daily operational issues, creating incentive programs… anything that helps turning a motor rider into one of our couriers and then keeping them with us for the first four weeks at AhaMove – that’s our jobs.

Being an intern in the Ops-Growth team, my work at first involved heavily with recruiting and training new couriers. That included sending SMS to those interested in working with AhaMove, calling them to make an appointment, and preparing them when they came to our office for training. The job was quite laborious. During the first few weeks, for eight hours at work, I would spend three to four hours for contacting potential couriers and the rest for training session preparation.

The work gave me fascinating insights into the company’s operations and chances to meet and talk to a lot of people, and I liked it. However, as an Economics major with interests in data science, I understood that was not what I really wanted to do – telesales and human resources training. At first, I hesitated to talk with my supervisor about my expectation. It was partly due to the employee – manager distance, partly because I did not want to be seen as too demanding – it was a valuable opportunity to work in an organization like AhaMove and I didn’t want to lose it.

However, I thinkĀ a good working environment should be one where employees have the same voice with managers. Also, I believe that the more I value this internship at AhaMove, the more I should use my time here wisely. Therefore, I talked to my supervisor about my expectation, which was data analysis. Fortunately, he understood, and now I’m working as an interning analyst for the Operations team, doing research on driver’s metrics and driver-incentive programs.

I’ve also realized how important it is to understand myself. As a rising junior, I know how inexperienced I am and how much I still have to learn. However, if you really understand yourself and know what you truly want, then it’s important that you follow it no matter what the challenges are.

An Operations team’s weekly meeting in which I (red shirt, behind the guy with striped T-shirt on the right) presented my research results