Looking Backward and Forward: My Summer in D.C. and Fall to Come

After spending three months on my own, working and living in Washington D.C. the most important thing I have learned is the value of communication. Prior to working at WSW, I had never considered the impact of tone on relationships between individuals. The tones’ one use influence how words are perceived by others.

In my personal experience, tone got me in trouble. Let me give some background. My arrival at WSW coincided with the arrival of WSW’s new associate/intern supervisor. Needless to say, she’s incredibly talented, hardworking, and has a bright future in lobbying. However, our working relationship did not get off to a good start. I take full responsibility for that. The strain in the relationship was not a consequence of what I said; but, ┬áthe tone I used and her subsequent interpretation of my response. My tone conveyed a sense of condescension and dismissiveness that I had never considered offensive up until that point. Afterwards, we discussed and resolved the situation amicably. The most important aspect of our conversation was that each of us noted the positive/negative impact of communication or lack there of in our interactions and its effect on our satisfaction in the workplace. This is a lesson that I will never forget.

Looking forward towards my fall internship at NESA, I am excited for more opportunities to collaborate and communicate with others. By virtue of function, my job this summer primarily focused on tasks that were done independently rather than in groups. Additionally, the opportunity to examine multiple areas of interest (Southeast Asia and the Middle East) excites me greatly. This is awesome opportunity to learn, work, grow, and form relationships/friendships that will last me a lifetime.

Now, sitting at home, I want to thank Dickinson College for allowing me to have an amazing experience this summer. Without your generous financial aid, none of this would have been possible.