week 2!

I honestly can’t believe it’s been two weeks. It feels like forever and no time at all at the same time.

I loved the Tokugawa Museum. While the collection was small, it was filled with beautiful and diverse works ranging from swords to tea ware to paintings. The garden was particularly impressive, even though it was raining. Still laughing at Muhajir falling into the stream while trying to pose for a picture. Also, still impressed by how fat some of the carp were.

I LOVED the trip to Magome and Tsumago. Magome at night is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. I got up at 4am to see the sunrise at Magome, and got to see the sun slowly creep up on the mountain. I loved the quaint feeling of the villages, and the hike was fantastical and incredible. The free tearoom on the way was an added bonus.

I spent my free day at Nara with Mia, which I also LOVED. Nara is so so so incredibly beautiful. We walked around aimlessly, stumbling upon a bunch of temples and shrines. We saw the shrine in the middle of a huge forest, with lots of lanterns leading the way, and a bunch of smaller shrines. We stopped at a super cute cafe with a bunch of potted plants in front. We also did rowboats on a small pond. Of course, we pet and fed a bunch of deer, too. For dinner, we had the top floor of a really beautiful restaurant all to ourselves.

List of foods I ate and remember, because I’m all for the food:
matcha, hard candy, mochi
Hawaiin pancakes and açaí bowl
peach mini cheesecake from underground market in Sakae
green tea, black sesame, and chestnut ice cream
traditional inn dinner (horse sashimi, mountain river trout, soba, tempura, pork and vegetables, pickled vegetables, pudding with pineapple)
traditional inn breakfast (make ur own wrap things with salmon, seaweed, rice, and vegetables)
mochi with red bean
more soba
fried rice ball
teriyaki with red bean paste filling
okonomiyaki
peach waffle and chocolate filled pretzels
green tea noodles with tofu
rice ball filled with red bean paste
sashimi, yam rice, tempura, and omelet filled with eel
“buddha pudding”