Weekly Blog #2

Wow! I can’t believe that another week has already gone by and that we’re already halfway through the program. However, looking back all that we’ve done this week, it makes sense that it has gone by so quickly. It’s really hard to decide, but there have been some highlights in this amazing week.

The first was all of our interactions with the Nanzen students that we had. It was really interesting to talk to them and discover that even though we were different, we were similar in a lot of ways too. I wish that we had more chances to interact with them, though I do get that finals and starting a new quarter is a very stressful and time consuming period and I completely understand if we can’t.

The second (and biggest) was our trip to Magome. I really enjoyed the scenery and peaceful atmosphere that surrounded all of it. I’ve always known that I enjoy mountains but this trip just further grounded that feeling. I really enjoyed our hike from Magome to Tsumago, especially the part where we stopped to view the waterfalls. Also, the food that they served was absolutely amazing! I definitely wouldn’t have willingly ordered horse sashimi and would have been skeptical about ordering an entire fish for myself, but I’m really glad that I got to try them. It took me out of my comfort zone and this good experience made me more open to trying initially questionable things in the future.

Lastly was the trip to the beach that I made with Muhajir and Julie on our free day. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve last been to the beach and it was really nice to go back, especially to one as clean and beautiful as Utsumi. We were able to buy food before and being able to picnic while the sun was setting over the mountains on the horizon was absolutely amazing.

I’m extremely excited for this upcoming week and all that it has to offer!