Can't Stay Away from the DC Summer Rays
My Internship at the Center for Immigration Studies
Creativity in the Workplace
Categories: Uncategorized

A day in the life of Julia…

Do you remember  when the Obama re-election campaign released a slideshow “The Life of Julia,” as a media promotion of Obama’s government programs? They created it to represent the average American, in this case a female, who would need Obama’s programs for an economic and socially successful America. Quickly,  however the slideshow was removed from media outlets. Following the same idea, an employee at CIS, came up with the idea to create “A day in the life of Julia, Amnesty Applicant.” This creative parody was spread over the Web to draw attention to the negative implications of the passing of SB744 (which by the way Senate passed in a 68-32 vote).

Of course you can view the slideshow yourself  here, but I will also walk you through it because I think it is a very creative way to get media and American attention. While at CIS, I have realized that I really enjoy working with public opinion data and communications, which is why this idea in particular stood out to me. Makse’s Statistical Analysis class at Dickinson was actually the first time  I recognized my drive to analyze public opinion and study the different techniques used through media to sway opinions.

This particular slideshow uses similar artwork as that of the Obama Campaign to catch media attention.

The presentation starts off with Julia being happy that the politicians’ are not securing the border first, which is an apparent contradiction in many of their words. It then progresses to discuss the weak background checks that amnesty applicants undergo, even with misdemeanors in their records. Then, a popularly contended point, the slideshow states that the bill doesn’t require amnesty applicants to pay back taxes, which the IRS does in fact demand of US citizens. Another surprising fact is that while our Constitution does not grant right of attorney for civil issues, the bill grants applicants an attorney in immigration court. Further, the bill allows previously deported illegal immigrants back into the US to utilize this amnesty. While all this is great for amnesty applicants, E-Verify systems for national security will remain tied up in courts , enforcement issues still apparent, and a new slew of undocumented people in turn will come to the US as a result of lack of increased national security.

The driving message in this parody is the issue of what seems to be amnesty applicants getting more rights and leeway than US citizens. What do you think? Should the bill not have been passed? I think it needed more work, and in a policy issue that isn’t touched til every 20 years, more precision and evaluation should be taken into consideration. Let’s see how it holds up in the House. The CIS parody got a record 17,000+ hits, demonstrating the impact creativity has in getting a message across.

I can’t believe June is coming to an end! I’m exactly half way through my internship and it’s flown by so quickly! My data research project from the first half finally paid off and a research fellow here at CIS used my research to write up that article mentioned in prior posts about H1B teachers. Check it out!

2 Comments to “Creativity in the Workplace”

1. Jack Reylan says:

I will not deny that foreign students can be bright, but faculty exaggerate their brilliance because foreign students are servile in doing work and favors for faculty and not demanding that professors actually earn their tuition keep. Moreover, faculty like that foreign students are either afraid, complicit or morally ambivalent about the immoral behavior of professors. In many cases they are more likely to share the professors’ anti-Americanism than American students. These ass kissers are absolutely not entrepreneurial, and they take the most bureaucratic and least innovative jobs.

• Jes says:

I respectfully disagree. I would suggest avoiding such generalizations and gaining a more open perspective on foreign students’ positive impacts in the classroom. Their diverse world views and experiences augment the learning experiences of their peers. On your last point, entrepreneurs consist of all types of diverse people, and as you stated early on, foreign students can be, and quite frankly are, bright.