Can't Stay Away from the DC Summer Rays
My Internship at the Center for Immigration Studies
My First Rally
Categories: Uncategorized

The D.C. March for Jobs

Yesterday, I participated in my first ever DC rally! It was an anti-amnesty rally held by BALA (the Black American Leadership Alliance), Tea Party Community, and Brotherhood Organization of a New Destiny.

As indicated on their website as the purpose of their successful rally, BALA believes that if the Gang of 8′s immigration bill is enacted,

It will be costly for all Americans, but will harm black American workers more than any other group. Mass immigration and amnesty puts those poorest Americans from all walks of life out of work and suppresses wages, causing them to compete with aliens willing to work in poorer working conditions for cheaper pay. When 22 million Americans are either out of work or unemployed, now is no time to further over-saturate the labor force with increased immigration levels and amnesty. If Congress doesn’t stop this irresponsible legislation, the United States will continue to see more and more Americans of all races out of jobs and on the streets.

There were many delegations present from nearly every state in the country! I was surprised to see that the rally really did resemble what I had originally pictured a rally to feel like. As interns, we were given VIP badges and were put in charge of marking appropriate posters with a QC approval sticker. This was an interesting assignment because we saw a completely inappropriate sign with “DEPORT” written in huge letters, which we tried to bring down but the man holding it refused. It was a fine line between constitutional freedoms and the rally not wanting to be inappropriate. Once we passed out water bottles to the large crowd, a march to the lawn in front of the Capitol from Freedom Plaza, with police cars blocking off the road traffic. It was crazy to see a group of people this large and of all ages come together and rally against the bill.

At the lawn, there was a band playing and the National Anthem was appropriately sung by Clifton Ross, III. This was followed by a series of many great speakers, including¬† Senator Ted Cruz, Colonel Allen West, Congressman Steve King, and Senator Jeff Sessions. It was a great opportunity to meet all these speakers and listen to their shared views on the bill. I’m interested to see if this rally will really make an impact on killing the bill and what sort of media attention the rally attracted.

On a side note, I was reflecting on this great opportunity and others I have had while interning and would like to thank the Dickinson Career Center and the Career Grant Program given in part by Doug (’80) and Terry Pauls. I am grateful for the assistance I have had in making this summer possible.

I’ll end with some pictures from the rally! Hope you enjoy.

photo 5   photo 2

Anti Amnesty Rally

photo 3

photo 4