Last Day!

Wow, summer flew by!

The past couple weeks have been really busy because I was doing final touches on my Youth Homelessness Report. We are directed to get first and second edits and I never realized how beneficial it is to have a second set of eyes reviewing my work. My peers’ comments were so useful! It reminded me of Freshman Year’s seminar class at Dickinson.

It’s surreal that the internship is already over. Overall, NCH gave me an incredible experience. Looking back at all the opportunities I had, I am so thankful for all that I have learned. I have made so much progress on where I want my career path to go and the steps that it will take me to get there. I have gotten so used to waking up, walking 10 blocks to work, and “living” here from 9-5 with a group of people who are like a close-knit family. My internship coordinator just pulled me aside to ask my about my experience here and genuinely wanted feedback on how to improve the intern program. It is comforting that we can be honest with one another.

I had decided in the beginning that my last post would be advice I have for interns, based on my experience so here it goes. Originally when I first got here, my reaction was similar to this guy: http://whatshouldwecallme.tumblr.com/post/23491543729/at-my-new-job-when-i-got-my-first-assignment  …but now, I feel that I am more prepared for the work world.

Nine Points for Non-Profits—

1.  it is imperative that you can work independently

2. you should work on something you are extremely passionate about

3. take advantage of all the opportunities your internship site offers

4. make connections with everyone you meet

5. thoroughly understand the organization’s mission

6. find ways to benefit the organization and use your time well

7. understand that there can be dull moments but things always tend to pick up

8. appreciate the “liberal arts school” focus that allows you to utilize/learn various skills

9. Form good relationships with your coworkers

On that note, it’s been a pleasure writing about my experiences here at NCH. If anyone is interested in learning more, please let me know because I’d love to talk to you more about the Coalition, living in DC, or interning in general. I’m no expert, but I’d be glad to share more of my experiences!

One thought on “Last Day!