Sometimes Procrastination Has Its Perks

As a Marketing and Public relations Intern with the Springfield Armor basketball team, the minor league affiliate of the Brooklyn Nets, one of the most common questions I get asked by my friends and family is, “How did you find that job!?” My answer is simple…”Procrastinating.”

At the beginning of the spring semester when I was looking for a way to put off writing papers for my American Studies classes or studying for an upcoming business test, I spent my time searching the internet for summer internship postings. It was a way for me to think I was being productive, when in actuality, I knew I just didn’t want to start any schoolwork.

I’ve been an athlete all my life and sports have always been a passion of mine, so I knew I wanted to find an internship working in the sports industry. There are some great websites out there for people looking for job or internship opportunities in the sporting world, and I highly recommend checking them out if you’re searching for an internship in this industry. Besides finding opportunities posted directly on a team’s website (often found on the bottom under ‘careers’ or ‘employment opportunities’) there are sites such as workinsports.com and teamworkonline.com that helped me see what opportunities were out there. I ended up finding my internship posted on teamworkonline.com and I was able to submit my resume and cover letter right there on the website. Teamworkonline.com allows you to search for opportunities by sport, by location, or by team and a lot of teams utilize this site to post their internship openings. This site reminded me a lot of the Common App used to apply to college. You can fill out all your information right on the site and use it to apply for multiple opportunities, which I found incredibly helpful. (Just make sure your cover letter is unique to the internship you’re applying for!)

So my advice for anyone looking to score a summer internship is utilize your free time to search the web for postings. A little procrastination never hurt anyone.