Sharing the Cube

The first day of my internship, I highly overestimated the amount of time it would take me to drive to Springfield. I arrived at my internship site about a half hour early, so I decided to explore the area a bit. As the clock began to approach 8:30 (the start of my work day) I made my way over to the Armors’ office suite. I remember my heart racing. I was excited, but my nerves were definitely kicking in. When I got to the office, I saw I was still early as all the lights in the office were off and the doors were locked. I continued to walk around a bit more and ran into a girl about my age hanging around the outside of the office. I had been told by my supervisor that there was going to be another intern starting the same day I was, but I didn’t have much information about who it was. I had a hunch that this could be the other intern so I decided to approach her and introduce myself. Luckily, it turned out that she was the other intern (it would’ve been incredibly awkward if she wasn’t…) and we hung out and chatted before someone came to unlock the door. I didn’t realize it then, but that was the start of not only a great office relationship, but a friendship that will certainly continue past this summer. Cheesy, I know.

I could not imagine what my internship would’ve been like without working with Katie. We shared a cubicle, so we spent many hours working closely together and getting to know each other. We collaborated on the majority of assignments, which I found to be incredibly helpful. We both had different skill sets, so we complemented each other well and learned a lot from each other. If one of us was stuck on something, the other would always be there willing to help. If we were both stuck, we would do our best to figure it out together which certainly alleviated a lot of stress.

Not only did we connect inside the office, but we would spend our hour-long lunch break outside getting to know each other on a personal level (and trying to get tan). We discovered that we had a lot in common, but our favorite topic was about going abroad. I am going to be going abroad in the fall to Copenhagen, Denmark (woo!) and Katie was lucky enough to study last summer/fall in London and Ireland. I loved listening to all of her stories and got A LOT of great advice about spending a semester in Europe from her.

I’ve always been told, “You don’t always get to choose who you work with,” but I wouldn’t choose to share ‘the cube’ with anybody else.