Connections and Confidence

My internship with the Springfield Armor came to an end and it was pretty bittersweet. Although I am incredibly excited to start the next chapter of my life and head to Denmark for the semester, I will greatly miss all the people I met at the Armor. The Armor is a small organization, one of the smallest in the NBA D-League, so I felt like I got to know everyone in the office well, no matter what department they were working in. The connections I made this summer were some of the most memorable parts of the internship, and the people I worked with have offered me so much advice and knowledge about the sports industry.

I would often sit down with my supervisor (the Director of PR) or the President and they would give me a lot of insight that I would never have gotten if I didn’t have my internship. They were great about making sure all my questions were asked and made sure I knew that I could come to them if I ever needed anything. They also offered me a lot of encouragement to go forward and pursue further sports opportunities. One-on-one meetings like these, where I was able to build strong relationships with my supervisors and co-workers, is one of the reasons I feel like internships are such a great opportunity for students to build their network. I will definitely keep in touch with my co-workers in the future and can’t wait to catch up in the winter at an Armor game.

When my internship came to an end, I thought back to my very first day and how nervous I was. I was so scared that I was going to mess something up or that I wouldn’t do a good job on any of my assignments/projects. If I could go back and start the internship all over again, I would try to have more confidence in myself. Mistakes are inevitable, so I need to stop worrying about making them and start learning that mistakes are all part of the learning process.

As I’ve mentioned before, I am so grateful for this internship. Having this experience will definitely help me go forward when looking for future opportunities. If you have the opportunity to do an internship, take it!