Tuesday, August 29th, 2006...9:19 amfrancese

Arms and the man (Vergil, Aeneid 1.1-11)

Jump to Comments [audio:http://blogs.dickinson.edu/archive/images/Aen.1.111.mp3]

Arma virumque cano, Troiae qui primus ab oris
Italiam, fato profugus, Laviniaque venit
litora, multum ille et terris iactatus et alto
vi superum saevae memorem Iunonis ob iram;
multa quoque et bello passus, dum conderet urbem,
inferretque deos Latio, genus unde Latinum,
Albanique patres, atque altae moenia Romae.

Musa, mihi causas memora, quo numine laeso,
quidve dolens, regina deum tot volvere casus
insignem pietate virum, tot adire labores
impulerit. Tantaene animis caelestibus irae?

Subscribe with iTunes

Play

• These selections are great tools. Thanks for putting the time and effort into them.
    However, I cannot access p. 4. All of the selections on this page do not “connect” when I press the arrow but display a “buffering” message. Our IT dept at the Academy has checked it out and feels that the problem is at your end and not ours. Please check this as I’d love to be able to play Vergil’s Aeneid selection – Arms and the man on 1/3 for my Latin V students.
    Thanks ~ Kim Eckman

• Thank you very much for pointing this out, Kim. The problem was indeed on our end, and is fixed now, I believe. Let me know if you have any further troubles.

•   Ellen Jameson
    November 28th, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Online audio resources in Latin are scarce, and I very much appreciate all you’re doing to make this available in your blog.

I have been able to access more recent content in iTunes, but I get an error message when trying to download older content, from June 2007 and back. For this entry (8/9/2006), it says that the URL could not be found on the server. WordPress probably won’t let me post the entire URL, but it lists the old file path blog.dickinson.edu instead of blogs.dickinson.edu, which might have something to do with it. Just thought I would let you know in case it’s possible for those links to be updated. Thanks! – Ellen

• Hi Ellen–
    I just wanted to check in and see if you can get at the older posts. They all work for me, as long as you go to the entry itself and click on the audio player. But let me know if you are having any trouble. All the best,
    –Chris Francese