Week 2

Week two was finally a time when I could start to settle in to my internships and dorm.

To start, I live on a college campus in Summer Intern Housing. This ideal living situation would not have been possible without the internship grant from Dickinson. Living here, I get to experience a little bit of what college life is like outside of Dickinson, as well as the opportunity to network with other students who are involved in really unique and interesting internships as well.

What stood out to me this week was the Gender Care Clinic.

Again I was able to sit in while either the doctor or social worker met with the patients.

The social worker that works with the clinic, aka the super woman that goes out of her way for each and every patient, was a goldmine of quotes this last Friday. For one girl who was struggling with understanding where she fit within the ever-complicated labeling system of LGBTQ+, the social worker instead suggested to worry less about the labels themselves. She explained that humans need labels and categories, but she need not identify with something immediately. Instead, she should worry about the person in front of her, not the label.

One thing I learned this week: Many of the drugs that are prescribed to transgender people in order to transition are not FDA-approved. This acts as a way for insurance companies to justify systemic discrimination by not covering these medications because they’re not FDA-approved.

This week I began to see how my two internships interact.

Coalition Against Sexual Assault Duke Gender Care Clinic How they Interact
For the Sexual Assault Coalition, I am still working on putting together various training programs for pilot sites.

At the same time, for the clinic, I am working on designing a gender transition map that represents both the medical and social aspect of transitioning.

Through my in-depth research into various training programs, I have come to see the importance of bringing multiple programs to the sites. It will take more than just sexual assault training, service providers support, or collaboration with law enforcement to provide victims with the best possible support. In the same sense, the clinic wouldn’t be the incredible resource that it is without the whole team of professionals that work together. Working on the gender map, I have come to see how both the medical doctor and social worker are essential members of the team, not to mention the therapists, psychologists, and many others that work together.

June 4th – June 10th