Literacy and Liberty

Ellis Island
Posted by: , October 3, 2018, 4:59 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

In fifth grade, I distinctly remember taking a trip to Ellis Island with my class. We had been studying its history and significance. I knew that I had descended from a trio of Russian, Polish and Austrian immigrants. However, I had no idea what they  had to go through during the process of immigration to the States.  Hunger, homesickness and hopelessness were common symptoms felt by many people who would embark off of ships. Many people who were hopeful on staying in the US would also face rejection. This could be determined by “doctors” who examined them after embarking. These doctors could determine whether or not an immigrant could stay by examining them. While on Ellis Island we visited a memorial called The Wall of Honor.  This wall still serves as a way to honor families members who came to Ellis Island as immigrants. I remember feeling terrified, because of the overwhelming names displayed on hard, concrete walls. I heard stories of girls who at the time who were my age and who I admired for what they persevered.  Needless to say, a lot of it went way over my 9 year old head. It wasn’t until years later when my brother was studying our ancestors that I thought about it again. My mom made one of those ancestry.com accounts and she became very engrossed with it. Some information truly surprised her and I. We learned that my fraternal great-grandfather came from Odesa and then moved to England. His mother died soon after coming to the U.S. My great-grandfather believed that his mother died of both a broken heart from homesickness and loneliness. On the bright side, most of my ancestors thrived after arriving to the US by working hard, learning English and assimilating. They successfully made America their home. Drawing from the experience of my family has given me perspective. I am grateful for the life I am living because of they had the courage, strength and vision to flee a bad situation. This helped ensured that their children and future generations would have the freedom their dreamt of.

6 Comments so far