Literacy and Liberty

US Holocaust Memorial Museum
Posted by: , October 3, 2018, 4:54 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

When I was in sixth grade, my ACT class took a field trip to the Holocaust Memorial Museum. It’s a large, gray building and there’s a sobriety in the crowds moving in and out that kept a group of about fifteen 13-year-old kids still and silent. Inside it is noticeably cold and I stayed, throughout the entire visit, hyperaware of the monochromatic concrete surrounding me: the entire museum seems both endless and confining. The first thing that really slammed home what I was looking at was a display of shoes which spanned the length of the room I was in. There were a total of about 11 million people killed during the holocaust, but that’s an almost unimaginable number, and the thousands of shoes laid out in front of me seemed more real than any of the statistics or books– even personal accounts– that we’d studied.

Despite the fact that it was years ago, there is another display at the museum which stands out vividly in my memory. It was much smaller, and walls on all four sides surrounded it. They rose about to my shoulder– I had to stand on my toes to look into the box, and I realize now that such a setup was so that children wouldn’t look in. At the bottom of the box was a video screen; on it played videos of medical experiments and their results, conducted by Dr. Josef Mengele. There was footage of people with extra limbs, physically mutilated and people isolated in rooms so silent or so loud that they were being driven mad, hiding in corners. It went on and on. There was no need to try and imagine those who had suffered or what they had gone through, because it was laid out directly in front of us at every turn. When I walked away I thought I was going to throw up. It was impossible not to see the victims everywhere you looked in the museum-memorial.

That visit was not like any field trip that I had ever been on before– even when we went to the Gettysburg battlefields (which we seemed to do every year) the horrors of what occurred were never truly impressed upon us. I left with a chill in my bones and a metallic ‘Never Forget’ circle pressed into my hand. It was the most effective memorial that I have every visited. Not only did it memorialize the victims, it also educated the viewer so that the events of the past would, hopefully, never be repeated or lost to history.

7 Comments so far