Day 11: Smile and wave boys…

Welcome to Blog #3! Hard to believe I’m already at 3 out of 8 weeks…time does indeed fly when you’re having fun. Everyday I get up with a smile on my face, energized and excited to go to work in this beautiful city of Kigali.

Morning views

But that doesn’t mean things are always easy! In general, being an intern comes with a few challenges…you are young, you are temporary, you don’t know people, you don’t have the same life experience and knowledge as your co-workers, ect. So then on top of those challenges, add: you don’t speak the language, you’ve never been in the environment, you’ve unfamiliar with the culture…needless to say, things can be difficult when working internationally.

My first traditional Rwandan lunch with my co-workers

Lucky for me, I have a houseful and officeful of supportive people who I know have my back when things go wrong. But in the everyday uncertainties and discomforts stemming from my own ignorance and naivety, I must look within for guidance. And what I have found in these moments, is that smiling and proceeding with confidence is the best way to pull through. If I am interacting with a person who only speaks French or Kinyarwandan, that doesn’t have to keep us from forming a relationship! If I am catching a moto to get to work and the driver takes me to the wrong part of the city, it doesn’t mean I won’t eventually get to where I need to go.

My daily commute

Being afraid of or close-minded towards what we interns don’t know, will only serve to hinder the chances for us to truly grow and learn (the whole point of an internship). With confidence on my side, I can CONFIDENTLY say that no matter the obstacles I face working in Kigali, everything will work out how it needs to be worked out. I strongly encourage those of you thinking about working abroad, to just GO FOR IT! Follow your dang dreams, people.

Explore the unknown with a big ole’ smile!

Tune in for blog #4 next Friday, June 15th for an exciting exclusive on Aegis’ annual ‘KWIBUKA’ event. Till then, feel free to browse this digital archive of my adventures in Rwanda: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.977445762432130.1073741847.100005001451639&type=1&l=8bd8ac20eb

2 Replies to “Day 11: Smile and wave boys…”