Whistleblowers

This week was very interesting! Monday July 30th is a day seen as National Whistleblowers Day. Earth Day sent me and one other intern to a conference on Capitol Hill to hear what they had to say about whistleblowing today and how it relates to wildlife conservation and environmental justice. A lot of this conference was speaking to people that have blown the whistle on really big issues that have taken place. Legally a lot about the cases were not allowed to be spoken about. However, when it came to wildlife conservation and environmental justice, the speakers spoke to the idea of encouraging more whistleblowers into this field. This was something that should be spoken of more, however, many don’t think to speak out against it because it primarily takes place outside the US. However, the one’s profiting off of this industry is global, and it should not be allowed.

This conference was very eye-opening. I also was able to sit next to two very interesting people. One man I was sitting with is a member of Canadian Parliament. The other is a former attorney for the Department of Justice working specifically with wildlife conservation. I was even able to get the business John Webb, the attorney from the Department of Justice. Both of these men were very interesting and happy to speak of their jobs and loved to hear about my studies as well. Overall, this conference was very captivating.

It’s meetings like these that make me remember how lucky I am to have the opportunity to have this internship. None of this would have been possible without the help of Dickinson’s grant scholarship. Because I was able to apply and was granted a scholarship I am able to be part of such fascinating meetings and conferences as well as build my skills that will help me later in any job I’d like to have later in life. This has truly been a great summer with a great¬† organization. I’m sad to think that I only have one more week. Well,¬† until next week, for my last blog post!