Oh hey there, UK!

Brie: So, we’re finally here! It doesn’t feel like real life yet. After a very looooong day of travelling and errand-running yesterday, we are settling in to life in London. Travel went smoothly; Marianh didn’t sleep, but I took two (too many) Tylenol PM and was unable to function for the full 7 hours. We were pretty exhausted for the day, but I was excited to spend some quality time with Prof. Crouch before the other Dickinsonians arrived. When we got to our room in the hotel, it was clear that this was going to be a very… intimate 3 weeks. Our singles are placed foot-to-foot, and there is probably a total 8 square feet of extra floorspace. Our poor ex-fireplace is serving as nice lil nightstand. The TV has 3 channels, which were playing Antiques Roadshow, Brothers & Sisters, and some old musical (our friend Kim would know…) – not very British per se.

Today, we have already explored the city significantly, with both a failed attempt to register for classes at the UEA – London and an AWESOME map quest. For registration, we got a nice double-decker bus tour of the Covent Garden area of London, so that was nice even though we weren’t able to finish our registration. Top sights: St. Paul’s and a lot of red phonebooths.

We went shopping down Oxford Street, and forced our friend Sandy into buying an adorable pair of grey brogues (lace-up oxford shoes). Marianh bought the cutest jacket, navy cotton blazer with shiny gold buttons. I am super jealous, and wish I could steal it. (Silly XS life that Marianh lives…) For lunch, we had sandwiches from Mark & Spencer, a grocery store that also has ready-made sandwiches and salads. I was adventurous with some cheese and carrot chutney on malted brown bread, and Marianh had a good ol’ ham and cheese. THEN, THE HUNT BEGAN. We a really, legitimately, great time searching for scientific landmarks across the Bloomsbury and Soho areas. We found the best places like the spot where the first anesthetic was administered, Charles Darwin’s house, and a pub with fun Soho facts. Did you know that Soho comes from the old hunting call “So-Ho!”? We stopped there also, because we were thirsty from such a long walk. The beers were good and strong; if only it weren’t before 5 pm. Tomorrow we’re headed to Stonehenge and Bath, and I am so excited to be returning there!

I think so far, it hasn’t fully sunk in that we’re living here, FOR REAL, for the semester. Maybe it’s the jetlag, maybe it’s the disconnection from the rest of the world, and we haven’t really seen any true London landmarks. But we have great hope for tomorrow’s trip! Cheers!

Awake My Soul – Mumford & Sons

5 Responses to Oh hey there, UK!

1. Carol ann coyle says:

Soooo envious!

2. Kim S says:

Heylo girls!!! First, thank you for the shout out in your first blog post ;) Yes, sadly I probably would know what musical that is, that was on your tv… but is that really sad? Or just knowledgeable? Hehe.

Sounds like your exploring is going well and everything sounds so fun! I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t get to register for classes completely, but I’m sure you’ll work it out soon enough. Talk to you soon!! LOVE, Me.

p.s. I get to start my adventure in T minus 3 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! woooooooot woot.

3. Brent R. Coyle says:

Wonderful blog. (Mom is even getting interested in the concept) Have a great time! BTW-I like the Mumford and Sons music attached-Cool. Love, Dad

4. Brenna Coyle says:

Brie! this looks like a blast! already missin you! Blaine and I drove the long way home on the blvd. from school today and thought of you!(:

5. Kathy Moore says:

Brie, Carol sent me your blog. What a wonderful time you are having. Wish I could be there with you. You make learning sound fun. I REALLY missed you while staying with your sisters last week and they miss you too. Cant wait to read more about your trip. Love always, Ms. Kathy