My name is Sophia Trueblood and I’m from Washington, D.C. When I was 12 years old, my parents joined the Foreign Service and my family moved to the Democratic Republic of Congo in central Africa. I lived there for two years and the experience had a profound impact on me. I learned how to speak French, and am now pursuing a French major at Dickinson out of my love for the language.

After Congo, my family moved to Kazakhstan for three years. In Kazakhstan, I became the website editor and social media manager of an online student-led school newspaper. I was seriously unqualified for the job, but I learned a lot about creating, designing and maintaining a website — especially after our school kicked us out for writing an article that criticized Russian president Vladimir Putin and I had to recreate our website under a new name in less than two days! I also learned how to use social media to spread content, which fundamentally changed how I view the role of social media in our lives. I’m really interested in how communication changes across different social media, and the implications of sending a message through one social medium versus another.

I spent my last year of high school in Vietnam, which is where my family still lives. I’ve really enjoyed living overseas and I hope to eventually work in a field that will allow me to work abroad.

Below is an unrelated picture I found on the drive.