Give the poor cash

This recent article in The New York Times discusses a charity set up by graduate students at Harvard and MIT to give cash to the poor in Kenya without strings attached as to how they spend it.

3 Comments »

1. delvecca Said,

September 2, 2013 @ 7:25 pm

Though this method has yielded some results, it is only a minor fix to the problem; this problem being governmental corruption and and socialist economic practices.

2. delvecca Said,

September 6, 2013 @ 3:07 pm

To clarify my previous comment, the “method” I am referring to is the Harvard/MIT proposal to give away cash to the Kenyan people. And what I refer to as “the problem” is the economic and governmental situation of the country. Now what I meant in my previous comment was that, although the method did yield some positive results, it will not fix the country’s economic problem as a whole. What I mean by this is that, the government and economy in Kenya is Socialist in nature and therefore, in my view, will never produce the amount of wealth or prosperity for its citizens that a Capitalist economy could. For example, look at the government/economy in the form of a system and the people as workers in this system; if the system is broken then it doesn’t matter how hard, or not hard, the workers work because the result will basically be the same. The economy and government currently in place is corrupt, I saw it in Zimbabwe and Zambia, it consists of an oligarchy of fat-cats made up of members in the dominant tribe that have access to political influence and economic revenue while the majority of the people live in squalor or in a lower-middle class state. The system is rigged and fixed for the fat-cats and is not a vehicle for upward economic mobility. Hence, the money given by the people from Harvard/MIT will not go very far in terms of creating jobs because it,the money, will never have the momentum or chain effect that it would have in a capitalist economy where there are incentives for working harder and incentives for taking risks in hopes of having a better life. In a socialist economy, there is no incentive, and by extension, no future.

3. weinstem Said,

December 13, 2013 @ 1:07 am

Aid organizations are increasingly focusing on education as a means of support. By doing so this equates malnutrition and poverty to an issue lack of education rather than resources. I support this claim in that it allows people to resources to do what they need. If you give people the opportunity to succeed financially, they will most likely use the resources for the positive.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI