Buying Food That’s Past Its Prime to Save the Planet

http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2013…

This article talks about how grocery stores sell foods that close to its “best by” date. It suggested that the demand for the nearly expired foods is very elastic. The article said the popularity of these food is growing because consumers become price conscious. So when the prices go down, many would be willing to buy food that is close to its expiration date.

5 Comments »

1. klocknec Said,

October 2, 2013 @ 6:14 pm

I think this article is very interesting. I do agree that the demand fir most of the expired food is elastic because of the huge range of economic backgrounds. It also makes sense that demand would be so high because even though the food is about to expire it is so much cheaper then anyone could get in the grocery store which would help people enormously on saving money.

2. Emma Jenkins Said,

October 3, 2013 @ 12:41 am

I also found this article very interesting. I was shocked to learn that the U.N. estimates that 1.3 billion tons of food are wasted each year. Admittedly, I throw out expired food at home or in my dorm room, but when I’m doing so I rarely think that others are doing the exact same thing. The idea of selling food close to its expiration date seems like a good way to reduce food waste and it is also economically friendly. Rather than spending $4 on a food product, not finishing it, and then having to throw it away, consumers can now spend a fraction of the cost and are inclined to eat it faster before it expires. The demand for almost expired foods is increasing primarily, it seems, because of the huge discounts.

3. Jared Warzala Said,

October 6, 2013 @ 8:13 pm

This article took an interesting look at resources that are currently being wasted and how people are working to turn them into unexploited gains. I also thought it proposed an interesting idea of higher demand for expiring goods, as this creates a new substitute in the market. Overall, I found the article to provide a unique perspective.

4. peterpak Said,

October 16, 2013 @ 1:30 am

Ideas like this have increased not only in the grocery stores but also more locally, at Dickinson. The Quarry, for example now sells day old items for half price which are usually labeled up front by the register. They have the same idea that more people are willing to buy the less expensive goods even if they are closer to the expiration date. In this case as well, the consumer demand would increase for these goods.

5. weinstem Said,

December 13, 2013 @ 1:08 am

I find this article very interesting as I think it touches on a larger issue of food insecurity within our country. By decreasing the price closer to expiration this is a form of price discrimination that allows certain buyers to increase revenue when others would not.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI