Poverty in America: The Problem with U.S. (GET IT, IT’S A PUN)

This article came again from the NY Times, this time from their opinion blog. That reveals my bias, but I think it is something that you all can handle, and if it really bothers you than presents me with the other side of things, and I will listen.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/02/poverty-in-america-is-mainstream/

This blog (in a blog, BLOG-CEPTION), discusses the issues and myths of American poverty, in particular the fact that most Americans have a very idealized concept of what poverty in the U.S. is and who it affects. Not only are the inner-cities not the only areas that are affected by poverty, but the myth that the non-white population (the main inhabitants of what is defined as the “inner-city”) is the mainly impoverished demographic. This is not the case, as it turns out. Mark A. Rank, author, cites US census data and other official documents that explain that poverty affects most people in the US, even if only for a short amount of time. This is really striking, especially when I think about poverty in relation to the Dickinson community and the greater Carlisle area, which oftentimes seems to have an incredibly apparent impoverished area (north of campus) juxtaposed with a very well-off and typical suburban neighborhood. As I thought about this more, I realized that this was probably just personal bias and not, in fact, the reality. I tried to think of the number of times that I saw an obviously homeless person in Carlisle around the center, or someone asleep in a gutter. When I studied abroad in Italy, or even when I am at home in Boston, I am able to see this type of poverty very apparently. In Carlisle, I have never seen this, or it is a different community that expresses its poverty in a different way. Interesting to think about.