Dean Patton blog post

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreydorfman/2013/08/29/pay-college-athletes-theyre-already-paid-up-to-125000year/

In this article it talks about whether or not division 1 athletes in America should be getting paid, along with scholarships. What most people do not understand is that the scholarships that these athletes have basically is like getting paid. Most of these athletes, especially with football, do not have to pay for school. I am indifferent whether they should get paid or not. D1 sports, especially football at any SEC school, is like a job. When you sign your letter of intent you sign a contract basically giving yourself to the coach. They own you, which gives very little free time. Players are not able to get jobs outside of school and sports, which explains why people want to pay the athletes. These players also get professional trainers, equipment, regimens and other perks that the football and basketball players would have to pay $2,000-$3,000 per week leading up to their pre-draft workouts. Adding this with the tuition, room and board costs, it is basically like they are getting paid as it is….having said that, I don’t think they should get a salary, making them a staff of the university. But I do not know what it is like to be a division 1 athlete. I am a division 3 athlete and it is pretty strenuous, so I can only imagine what D1 is like, thus my indifference on this issue.

1 Comment »

1. formanm Said,

December 16, 2014 @ 6:24 pm

I agree with you that D1 athletes should not get paid salaries. However, an allowance of some sort would give athletes, who often come from poorer backgrounds, a little spending money. Not having to worry money should help athletes focus more on their respected sports.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI