Intern speaker series #1

Ciao Amici!

There are more than one hundred student interns working in the Massachusetts state house each day, so the governor’s internship program organizes speaker series for all of the interns so that we can get to know more about the people that work in the state house and work in government as their careers, what they do in their jobs, and how they got to the positions that they are in now. For the first series, held last week, we interns got to spend an hour with Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito, getting to know her a little bit more and hearing about her experience working as the second in command of the state’s executive department. The event took place in the state house press room, which, for anyone from Massachusetts, would be known as the plain looking room with the navy blue curtains where Governor Baker or Patrick would address the state from regarding snow storms or other storm danger and power outages. The 40 so of us interns in attendance sat around a big table with the Lt. Governor and spent most of the time with her introducing ourselves. When it came my turn, the fun fact I shared, in addition to talking about where I went to school and what I do at the state house, was that I wait tables at a restaurant on the weekends. After talking about that for a bit, we discovered that not only has she eaten at the restaurant that I work at, she went to high school with the owner of the restaurant and is still a good friend of his- turns out both of my bosses know each other! She recommended that we get a picture together some time to show to my other boss, which I got a couple days later when I ran into the Lt. Governor a couple days later durning a Governor’s Council hearing, Ill attach that photo to this post. Other than this cool coincidental discovery, it was great to hear about what goes on in the life of a pretty influential politician, what campaigning for office is like, what managing a super busy schedule is like, and how difficult it can be sometimes to manage giving the appropriate amount of attention to work and family. Ms. Polito has always been a politician in the local and state level that I look up to- she was the state representative for my Massachusetts district for many years, and my grandparents were very instrumental in her first campaign for office. She told stories about how her first role in government at the local level was as being a Shrewsbury selectman, and how that minor local role lead to progressively larger roles, and working in government became a passion of hers. Her advice for people my age who want to actively make a difference in their communities? Pursue active citizenship, get information from a variety of sources and to do all things with intention- If you don’t find yourself doing something with a concerted effort and passion, it probably is not worth your time, given that you could be focusing on things you’re passionate about. Thats She gives credit to that type of work ethic when discussing how she got to the place she is at now. Pretty cool stuff!