Meeting with Gov. Baker’s Senior Chief of Staff, Mr. Tim Buckley

Although the day to day work that I do for the Governor’s Council at the Massachusetts State House is not always the most interesting work(lot of data entry and envelope stuffing- important, but pretty repetitive.), working in the State House gives myself and other interns the opportunity to meet a lot of important politicians and government workers that have large roles in Massachusetts politics. Meeting these people can be pretty cool, because you get to see what these people that you occasionally see on TV, or hear about in the newspaper, or hear talking on radio shows such as NPR or Greater Boston, are really like in person, and how they got to be in the positions that they now are in. Last week all of us interns had an hour to chat with Senior Chief of Staff for Governor Baker, Tim Buckley. It sure sounds like quite the job- not only is he(and his council) in charge of managing and deciding what materials and what information reaches the governor, but he also briefs the governor on a any and all issues that the governor needs to know about, and additionally helps the governor create responses and positions for the administration regarding these issues.  He also travels with the governor all around the state, meets with him everyday and  manages his media relations and participates in crafting statements to the press on behalf of the governor. Quite a job indeed!

The most surprising thing to me about meeting with Mr. Buckley was that he looks to be no older than 35 (I didn’t ask how old he was obviously but i remember him saying something about graduating college in the 2000s) For someone with such a senior, important job, he’s pretty young! It was interesting to hear how he got there- he had worked for the RNC after college, worked for a  couple state legislature campaigns, hopped on board with the Baker for Governor campaign in 2014, and, after that surprising victory, found himself being asked to continue working with Baker as his Chief of Staff. It was really cool to hear about how a career in politics can be made if you work hard and sustain meaningful connections with people that you bump into and work with.

Although I have no pictures with Mr. Buckley, instead I will attach a picture my dad took of me one day after picking me up from the statehouse a couple weeks ago. A bit goofy lookin’ but thats alright.