Intro to Camping Trip

Intro to Camping Trip

**This event is open for sign ups from Monday, September 2 at 10pm to Wednesday, September 4 at midnight.  The trip will be capped at 25, but please sign up no matter what because we will have a waiting list**

Date/time: September 7-8, 2013, We will leave from the Kaufman parking lot at 2pm on Saturday.  There will be two groups going back to campus in the morning depending on interest (we will decide exact times later).

Trip leaders: The five officers will be leading this trip, so there are now 20 spots remaining.

We will be camping at Purgatory which is an area of Michaux State Forest (about 45 minutes from campus).  There will be options to hike and boulder on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.  Transportation will be provided by the club.

If you are interested in coming for the afternoon and evening, but you do not want to stay the night (meaning you would leave on Saturday evening after dinner), please indicate that in your comment below.  We may or may not be able to provide transportation for this depending on interest.  Please know that if you write this option and we do not end up having the leaders to provide this option, we are going to assume you do not want to come on the trip at all.  If you do not make a comment about this, we are assuming you are spending the night!

Dinner and breakfast will be provided by the club.  Please comment below or email Steven Finley at  finleys at dickinson.edu if you have any allergies or food restrictions.

Packing List: Warm clothes (this means 2 pairs of pants, two top layers, wool socks, warm hat and gloves), Sleeping bag, Sleeping pad (or a yoga mat etc), plate and utensils, 2 liters of water in a reusable water bottle (there is not a water sources nearby), hiking boots, climbing shoes (if you want to climb), pajamas, and a flashlight.

We will provide tents, tarps, first aid supplies, and cooking supplies, but if you have a tent and want to bring it, make a note of that in your comment.

If you have any questions about the packing list or if you need to borrow gear, please include that in your comment below.  If you sign up to borrow gear, please come to the Treehouse between 4 and 6 on Thursday, September 5 to pick it up.

Additional information:

Remember that you must pay dues to go on this (and all) outing club trips.  If you have not paid, please put $5 in an envelope with your full name and put it in Tucker Deady’s mailbox: HUB 577.

You must sign a waiver to go on the trip.  Please put those in Tucker Deady’s mailbox as well. Email Steven Finley at  finleys at dickinson.edu if you need a waiver.

This will be a completely substance free trip.  Do not bring alcohol or drugs, please.

Please comment your phone number as well so we can get in touch with you if we need to.

Example Comment (include name, that you want to come, gear needs, food restrictions, phone number):

Anna McGinn, I would like to come on this trip.  I need to borrow a sleeping bag.  I am a vegetarian.  My phone number is (508) 527 6423.

Get excited for the best first camping trip of your life!

57 thoughts on “Intro to Camping Trip

1. My name is Hieu, I would like to join this trip. I want to borrow a sleeping bag and and a sleeping pad. my phone number is 717-440-7829.

2. I would like to come for the day option on Saturday (i.e. no camping out if possible). I have no food restrictions. Cell is 412-277-0203.

3. I want to go and would need to borrow a sleeping bag please!
    My number is 484-529-3306 (I don’t get group messages though)

4. I want to goooo!!!!! Day trip on Saturday only if possible (i.e. no sleeping over). No food restrictions. Phone is 860-970-1812.

5. aw man! I wanna go, but it looks like we’re pushin’ our limit. here’s my name anyway, and if it works out better I might just provide my own transport so I can come socialize/climb.