How your liberal arts education strengthens your internship experience

This summer, most of the work that I’ve done has been what’s called “prospecting,” which is the process of finding potential donors to an organization. The difficulty of this task depends on a few factors, including how many donors an organization has already prospected, the notoriety of the organization, and how narrow its mission is.

I was able to use my liberal arts education, which to me means that I was able to think critically about the profile of what a good prospect is, in my time at The Fairness Project. Instead of filtering online for people who had given the largest donations to any political campaign or organization, I filtered based on specific organizations whose missions and values are in line with that of The Fairness Project. Not only did this save me a significant amount of time, but it also got me a lot more people who were more likely to donate to The Fairness Project than the typical political donor would be.

If your internship doesn’t involve prospecting, which is quite likely, there are still a few things you can take away from my experience. The most important one, in my opinion, is that using your critical thinking skills, as honed during your time at Dickinson, will save you time and make your work more efficient.