Getting Started…

Welcome to Poetry Matters. This is the blog of a first year seminar taught by me, Mark Aldrich. I was just talking to Todd Bryant, our language technology specialist, about a project we have for the class. Students will be using social media to comment on the work of a contemporary poet. They will try to generate intelligent discussion of and awareness about the work of the poet they choose to write about. Just to try it myself, I’ve spent the last twenty minutes looking for blogs by the poets who are published in a recent issue of the New England Review. I chose this journal at random, just as an example of one way to start searching. After a few minutes (Debora Greger, Victoria Chang, Sarah Murphy…) I came to the work of Patrick Phillips. Phillips has a blog (I’m using google blog search), which led me to some of his poems, which I enjoyed very much, so I followed the link to some of the criticism of his work available online: a review of his 2008 collection, Boy, published in The Cortland Review. Now I’m really curious to learn more. Phillips teaches at Drew University. Stay tuned for more on Patrick Phillips…

Patrick Phillips

Post to Twitter Post to Facebook

This entry was posted in Mark Aldrich. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Getting Started…

1. Mr WordPress says:

Hi, this is a comment.
    To delete a comment, just log in and view the post's comments. There you will have the option to edit or delete them.