So I was originally dead set on not doing a gender-centric paper for this final assignment. I always do something related to women’s roles or sexuality. Time for a change right? Wrong! But my original idea, which was to talk about how blogging has helped to change our rhetoric, is not mutually exclusive to my interests in feminism and women’s movements.

After some discussion with Professor Bowen, and some archival inspiration, I would really like to shift my focus to the way in which blogging and digital communities have shaped contemporary women’s movements. How have they helped new voices emerge? But how are they also at risk by not being monitored and edited as much as traditional media?

I would also like to use this project to approach the concept of archiving and curating information in the digital age. On one hand it should be easier since everything is only a URL and a click away, but then what happens to tangible records.

There is clearly a lot of material to work with on this topic, so I think it will just be a matter of focusing in on the most relevant pieces of evidence to my eventual argument.

Comments

2 Comments so far

1.    Claire Bowen on April 4, 2013 8:10 pm

Woo hoo! As you already know, I think this is a great development. Remember: Professor Farrell’s (first) book, two/three big feminist blogs, and ladies journals. That’s your first research quarry, as 404 permits!

2.    Miriam on April 17, 2013 1:25 am

This sounds awesome! What a great idea and way to use our class in the archives as inspiration. Even with all the negative and hurtful things people can read on the internet, I think it would be really intersting to see if/how the use of blogs and digitial communities have empowered women rather than bring them down. Great Idea and I can’t wait to read more!

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind