My grandmother makes fun of me because I can never find a paid internship during the summer. Last summer was no exception, as I accepted another unpaid internship with a new blogging website for women called Spike the Watercooler. I was very motivated by the thought of creating a communal writing outlet for women, but as the summer progressed, my views and the views of the website’s founder seemed to diverge. She refused to be associated with the dirty f-word, feminism, which seemed ironic to me as she was promoting the empowerment of women. This highlights a tension that is prevalent among feminist media, how to empower without polarizing. Through study of feminist media, past and present, it can be determined that successful feminist literature relies heavily on its ability to build community among readers and activists, but must do so while addressing the polarized condition of the social constructions of what it means to be feminine.

**I know this personal anecdote is not fully fleshed out yet, but hoping that you all see some positive directions it could be taken in!

Comments

3 Comments so far

1.    Claire Bowen on April 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Jessy, no apology for the anecdote necessary! But though your grandmother’s joke makes me smile, it does set the reader up to assume that the essay itself is going to be about *money* in some way. Why not start with the problem of the “F-bomb” itself?

2.    Caroline Blank on April 19, 2013 8:10 pm

I agree with Professor Bowen, Jessy, I think starting with that problem itself will make for a better introduction! The argument you are making is also presented well in the way you formed this paragraph. I like it! Good start!

3.    Miriam on April 23, 2013 3:46 am

This is a really great hook and making it so personal makes me want to continue reading it. I think that your story seems just about right (no need for much more “fleshing out). You don’t give so much information that it’s a ramble, but you also give enough so that we can connect the success of the blog to your thesis statement.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind