One of the most powerful ways that marginalized groups can affect their status on the fringe is through education. Yet education is often one of the difficult hoops that marginalized groups most jump through in order to see actual upwards progress. Many schools were not well enough equipped to handle gifted students as well as the rest of student body in a way that would allow the gifted students to flourish. This dilemma is found primarily in schools that the marginalized groups are forced to use.  The government instated Magnet programs as a way to counter this and allow all gifted students to receive the proper teaching they require to excel. The program would allow a country to concentrate all the area’s gifted students into one of the more successful school in which they had their own educational program with different teachers and classes.  Yet the program is very flawed and actually does not represent a tool that marginalized students can use to further their cause.  In fact it does not actually really help them at all and may even serve as another example of a program that was designed to help the marginalized groups but instead just further cements the dominant group’s place in society.

Comments

3 Comments so far

1.    Michelle Kaster on April 19, 2013 1:10 am

I think this is a very interesting topic and well-written introduction. I believe this intro is an example of presenting a counterargument and then immediately refuting it. While this is effective, I also think that the sentences could be re-ordered to make the main topic clearer. I was not sure if your main topic was to refute the current education system for marganilized groups (first paragraph) or if it was to refute the Magnet programs enforced by the Government (Second paragraph) or a combination of both.

2.    Claire Bowen on April 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Taylor, you’re going to want to work on not over-generalizing or -simplifying the important issues you’re raising here. What about a more specific, nuanced introduction strategy?

3.    Mark Shaffer on April 22, 2013 5:16 pm

I agree with whats been said so far. As Michelle said I like the way you introduce the designed purpose of magnet schools and then begin to refute it. However, I agree with professor Bowen that at times it was a little general. For instance, maybe you could talk about some of the specific flaws or insert some ways that these programs could be fixed. Overall though I liked the style of the introduction.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind