Water Diary

March 10, 2021 | | Leave a Comment

Personal Estimated Water Footprint Compared to USA Average          

Per Day: 1, 379 Gallons               US Average: 1,802 Gallons  

Per Week: 9,653 Gallons            US Average: 12,614 Gallons 

Per Year: 1905.5 m^3                   US Average: 2489.7 m^3 

Constraint:  

At the time of calculating this estimate, I was on campus, and recognized Dickinson’s use of sustainable energy compared to standard utilitiesWhile at home or travelling, I am sure my water footprint is far higher than what is above. Furthermore, this does not account for weeks where I do a particularly extensive amount of driving.  

Tigris/ Euphrates Valley Average Water footprint: PER CAPTIA AVERAGE 

Turkey                                     Syria                                            Iraq                       Iran 

Per day: 1,188 Gallons     Per Day: 1,532 Gallons      No data           Per Day: 1,347 Gallons 

Per Week: 8,316 Gallons  Per Week: 10,724 Gallons                           Per Week: 9,429 Gallons 

Per Year: 1636.9 m^3         Per Year: 2110.9 m^3                                   Per Year: 1856 M^3 

Through taking this class and discussing the role of water in the Middle East, along with my own research specific to the Tigris and Euphrates valley, I have come to realize that I am not nearly as aware of my use of water as perhaps I should be. I am extremely fortunate to have essentially unlimited access to clean water, with the only regular constraint being a water bill.  

By simply comparing the water footprint statistics of Iran, Turkey, and Syria to the United States, one can infer that generally, there is a greater sense of awareness of water use in those Middle Eastern countries, than in the US– particularly when one considers that the accepted minimum annual water footprint per individual is 1,100 m^3 

Although these four countries share primary water sources (Tigris/Euphrates), dams have created restricted water flow to certain areas of the countries above, which has caused social, economic, and political disruptions. As a result of restricted water flow due to dams, the water in “low flow” areas has become contaminated, which has necessitated further government intervention which seeks to provide water through alternative means. This plays a large role in the economy of the region  

Politically and socially, nonstate actors have taken advantage of vulnerable areas with little access to water through bribery and threats.   

Overall, it is water in the Tigris/Euphrates valley seems to play a more direct and visible role in political, economic, and social dynamics than in the USA.  

Comments

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind