This past week everyone in the office has been getting ready for a big event we’re having next week in Columbus, Ohio.

On July 12th, the Columbus Metropolitan Club will host NICD’s Executive Director, Carolyn Lukensmeyer; Tom Daschle, the former U.S. senate majority leader from South Dakota and current member of NICD’s National Advisory Board; Jim Kolbe, the former U.S. congressman from Arizona and current member of NICD’s National Advisory Board; and Karen Kasler, journalist.

NICD’s Revive Civility campaign is a nationwide initiative to bring back civil dialogue in our communities by giving politicians, the media and the American people the tools and skills needed to engage in productive discussion of our most pressing problems.

My team of interns have been working hard to hammer out some of the logistical necessities for the event, such as contacting and registering guests and creating informational pamphlets. Unfortunately, interns are not given a travel budget, so we will not be able to attend the event, however I look forward to hearing how it goes from my fellow staff members.

This past week has been great because we were given Monday and Tuesday off for the holiday. My dad came down to visit, which was a lot of fun. We did the typical touristy things: visiting Washington’s Mount Vernon, Ford’s Theater, the International Spy Museum, the Botanical Gardens, and of course, a Nationals ballgame. On the night of the 4th, I sat out on the National Mall with my roommates and watched the best firework show in America. I look forward to many more 4ths in D.C.!!