The national media launch of the Initiative to Revive Civility at the Columbus Metropolitan Club this past week was a smashing success! With a turnout of 260 people, the National Institute for Civil Discourse drew one of the largest crowds of the summer. We even beat Governor Kasich’s book launch (however his book does deserve a shout out, as one of its themes is civility!) Watching the video of the event, I was so happy to see the great reception that NICD’s movement received. It’s amazing to see people who truly care about the state of our democracy and are so willing to volunteer their time to furthering our mission. You can watch a video of the event here!
In other news, my fellow intern hosted a podcast this week about renewable energy. She invited some other D.C. interns who shared their unique viewpoints. It was cool to hear their ideas about how to live more sustainably, and reminded me of Dickinson! I’ve been preparing for my next and final podcast, which will be a discussion on trade-based job displacement. This topic is near and dear to my heart (or at least it has been since I wrote my first 10 page paper on it freshman year!)
I also got to take a tour of the Pentagon this week! I had to go through two x-ray machines to get through security. The Pentagon is a lot bigger than it looks, it even has its own chocolate shop! Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and quite funny too. He told us that last week he got a haircut next to the Secretary of Defense. It’s hard to believe that my time in D.C. is almost up, but I know I’ll definitely be back!