Week 3

Wow! Week three flew by!

Another intern, Bari joined us on Tuesday morning. She had just returned Sunday from a semester abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina. As Charlotte and I hope to be heading to that country in Spring 2018 we pestered her with questions.

I continue to work on various things with the Walking the Walk program. We finally heard back from someone at NYU and they said the plan is for Of Many to come out on Youtube in late July! Yay! Now I don’t have to figure out how to get rights to screen the film and YOU can watch it too. I continue to brainstorm and prep for the Alumni event and work on littler projects in the office.

More exciting things…this afternoon interviewed a student who participated in Walking the Walk this past year for an Alumni highlight. Then, this evening Charlotte and I tagged along with the St. Joe’s Prep boys (who were on an Alternative Break program hosted by the Interfaith Center) as they went to the Sikh Society of Upper Darby. There was a presentation on Sikhism, we observed part of a prayer, were fed lots of food and then finished things off with a group discussion. Gurudwaras (places of Sikh worship) are known for providing food to people weekly, even daily. Apparently in India there’s a Gurudwara that feeds about 100,000 people daily.  Their hospitality is so radical but meaningful: the faith is founded on the idea that no matter what caste, ethnicity, faith, or background, all people should have access to religion and to God. I learned that most of the men in the U.S. who wear turbans are Sikh, which is very important to note because the Sikh emphasize that all people are a part of God’s family…so different from terrorist organizations. We were handed a packet of more info, photos of part of it are below.

page 1…sorry its so hard to read!