Time for scabby knees

By Nina Jean-Jacques

Have you ever wondered how you get those scabs after you cut yourself? You may already know that it’s due to blod clotting. More studies on blood clotting found the time it takes for blood to clot can be determined by something in the blood – genes.

Researchers at the University of Edinburgh discovered three genes that are responsible for blood clotting. They performed the study at the Centre for Cognitive Ageing and Cognitive Epidemiology. The researchers used blood samples from a group of people in the Edinburgh area who were aged over 70. These participants are also a part of the Lothian Birth Cohort 1921 and 1936, which has been studying the participants since birth.

The study used a test called activated partial thromboplastin time to measure clotting time and examined thousands of genes. The genes that were found to assist in blood clotting are F12, HRG, and KNG1. These genes are found in healthy people. The researchers on this study are trying to encourage the start of studies on genes of those that suffer from blood clotting disorders such as deep vein thrombosis and some types of stroke. The researchers are all so excited to discover such a large genetic component in clotting.

blood clotting disorder - deep vein thrombosis

5 thoughts on “Time for scabby knees”

1. This is really interesting. I wonder how this relates to clogged arteries and strokes.

2. Nice post.Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!
    I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post thanks

3. This is really a serious health issues belong to you knees and I am sure that most of the people dose not even know much about this. So this is better to know how to cure that problem.

4. Very nice blog and articles. I am realy very happy to visit your blog. Now I am found what I actually want. I check your blog every day and try to learn something from your blog. Thank you and waiting for your new post.